Sustainable manufacturing at Bisley
"At Bisley, we often use the phrase that our furniture is Made for Life. And while that is true of our products, we also take that ethos into every part of our manufacturing processes and company culture.
We want furniture that lasts a lifetime; made from the highest quality materials, using the latest innovative technologies and processes with minimum impact on our environment.
As we now look ahead, we are pleased to commit Bisley to continuously improving upon the high standards we set ourselves – for our colleagues, customers, and our future."
Richard Costin, CEO
Our vision is for Bisley to be the go-to quality manufacturer of storage in wood and steel around the world; focussing on sharing our rich heritage combined with our innovative product development roadmap.
We design and manufacture profitable, innovative, high-quality steel and wood storage solutions that are Made for Life – selling them across the world, while ensuring that we do not impact the ability of future generations to live full and purposeful lives.
Our Green Book details the ways in which we are striving to reach these goals.
We will continue to act responsibly and resourcefully concerning our environmental impact and care of our employees. To thrive in today’s global market, we will invest in our people, processes, manufacturing, talent, and leadership – for the long-term benefit of our customers and colleagues.
For increased impact, we will initially focus on four of these goals:
Decent Work and Economic Growth+
We will promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth for all our people and work:
- To provide stable, fair, and equally paid work to all our employees.
- To work actively to decouple business growth from increased resource consumption.
- To promote youth education through our apprenticeship scheme.
- To ensure eradication of modern slavery, not only within our own operations but throughout our global supply chain.
- To ensure our activities and progression are aligned to internationally recognised targets, we have created our sustainable strategy around the requirements of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- We will promote sustained, inclusive, and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all:
- To continue to pay our staff at the National Living Wage.
- To promote a culture of inclusion, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion, or economic status.
- To continue to promote equality within our organisation through compliance to relevant legislation, policy development and supporting action.
Responsible Consumption and Production+
We are committed to supporting the provision of affordable, reliable and clean energy for all through investment in global energy infrastructure projects, and to ingrain sustainable consumption and production patterns into our practices, including:
- Responsible and efficient use of natural resources including water and raw materials throughout our manufacturing activities.
- To continue to responsibly manage chemicals and waste at our manufacturing sites in alignment with international frameworks and relevant legislation.
- Achievement of zero waste to landfill by 2030.
We will take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts, including:
- A pledge to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030 through reduction activities and accredited offsets.
- Alignment to the UK Government net zero target of 2050 and by extension, the Paris Agreement through aggressive reduction of emissions both from our direct operations and other value chain elements.
- Targeting emission reductions of 3-5% year-on-year.
We aim to build upon this approach, incorporating more SDGs, and addressing further environmental and social issues over time.
Our memberships and accreditations
- Achilles Audit Certificate 2021 to 2022
- Achilles SSIP Certificate
- Bisley FSC certificate
- Constructionline Gold Status Certificate
- ISO 14001 Certificate
- ISO 27001 Certificate
- ISO 45001 Certificate
- ISO 9001 Certificate
- Manufacturing Guild Mark Certificate
- SMAS Worksafe Compliance Pack
- TUV Nord Certificate
- First Mile Silver Recycling Standard Award
- FISP Membership Certificate Bisley 2020
- Hazardous Waste Registration Report 2021-2022
- Newport Waste Carriers Certificate Packaging
- Made In Britain
- Confederation of British Metalforming
- Furniture Industry Sustainability Programme
- The Furniture Makers’ Company – Manufacturing Guild Mark
Bisley Green Book
Download our Green Book for full details of our Sustainability initiatives.